Friday, September 7, 2012

Does Infertility Make You A Different Parent?

"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out".  Ah, that famously funny quote from Bill Cosby.

It's one that my husband and I joked about for years.  We talked about how tough and strict parents we were going to be.  We joked about how we would tell our kids that we could just "make another one" if they acted up.   All in jest and joking of course, but at it's core there was the feeling that we would have fun getting pregnant, and that of course it wouldn't be hard at all.   And, that those little buggers better act right, because we were going to raise them old school.

Well, that was before our battle with infertility.  Now, when I look at her the first thing I think is that she is a miracle.  Yes, every baby is a miracle  - but our natural pregnancy after 2 years of infertility truly felt like a miracle.

And it makes me wonder, do parents who have been blessed to bring a baby into this world after struggling with infertility parent differently?  I try to stay balanced. I don't worry too much about germs - I don't wash everything in triplicate in super hot water and when she drops a toy on the ground I give it back without disinfecting them.  But then I let her sleep with me when she cries in the middle of the night, something I swore I'd never do.

So - I'd love to know what you think - does infertility make you a different type of parent?




No comments:

Post a Comment