Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday Simple Recipe - Summery Pesto

I planted my very first herb garden this summer at our new house.  I have a black thumb and have killed literally every plant I have ever gotten my hands on.  But, by some miracle, my herbs are still alive.  Not only that - they are thriving!  So, we have on hand a TON of fresh basil.  When I got sick of the tomato caprese salads and tomato and basil sauce, I decided to try pesto.

The great thing about pesto is that it seems so fancy, yet it is so very simple.

Simple Summer Pesto

2  fresh basil leaves (packed)
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped garlic
1/2 cup of pine nuts
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.

Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with pasta, toasted baguettes or freeze.

Of course, my baby girl freaked out when I started up the food processor, so mine didn't go exactly as planned in the recipe.  Everything got tossed in at once (except for the olive oil) and pulsed very quickly.  Added the olive oil and voila - Simple Summer Pesto.  I'll be serving some pasta with pesto and fresh tomatoes along side my herb marinated Pork Tenderloin.  Pictures up tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment